Spring is a good time to complete a tune-up in your kitchen. Appliances will run better if proper maintenance is done routinely. Here are some tips for keeping your kitchen in good running order:
1. Sanitize the dishwasher by running a cup of white vinegar through a wash cycle. Make sure the dishwasher is empty. Vinegar also works well for cleaning out automatic coffee makers.
2. Use the self-clean setting on your oven to clean it out for spring baking. Clean stove-top drip pans by placing in a large kettle with 1/4 cup of dishwasher detergent added. Bring to a boil and then turn off heat and allow drip pans to sit until cooled. Then take out and complete scrubbing by hand.
3. Clean out the disposal by placing citrus peels and a handful of ice cubes in the disposal. Run for 15 - 20 seconds and then continue to run with cold water.
4. Pull out the refrigerator and unplug. Vacuum the dust from the coils for more efficient operation and energy conservation.
5. Clean counters and ledges with a safe, homemade disinfectant. Spritz with white vinegar and allow to sit on counter for about 30 seconds. Wipe and then spritz with hydrogen peroxide and allow it to sit on counter for another 30 seconds. Wipe clean. Wear old clothes, as the hydrogen peroxide could bleach out clothing.