The Umpqua River Lighthouse stands at the entrance to Winchester Bay and was the first built in Oregon territory (1857). It emits a distinctive red and white flash from it's Parisian-made prism lenses. It's 65-foot tower guards the Umpqua River at mouth at the Pacific. This area, known for it's 'green gold', is still has a productive and thriving timber industry. The area surrounding this lighthouse is rich in towering sand dunes that reach heights of more than 500 feet or more. The area is famous for dune-riding on ATV's and dune buggies and is a National Recreational Area.
Umpqua River Lighthouse, Winchester Bay, Oregon